West Yellowstone Weather & Roads (Tuesday, December 3, 2013): Today, a 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 3F. Wind chill values as low as -21F. South southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Tonight, a 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -14F. Wind chill values as low as -26F. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Similar weather pattern for the remainder of the weekend. Temperatures will start to warm slightly early in the week. Bundle up and be prepared if venturing outdoors in Yellowstone Country!
- Yellowstone: All park roads close to the public to prepare for the oversnow, winter season, except from the North Entrance to Upper Mammoth Terrace Drive, and Mammoth via Tower Junction to the Northeast Entrance. The Beartooth Pass is closed. Call 511 from your cell phone to check on the status of other roads outside the park.
Projected Winter Opening and Closing Dates (weather permitting) to Oversnow Travel
(Guided snowmobile and snowcoach only)
- December 15: Mammoth to Madison to West Entrance; from Old Faithful to West Thumb; from South to Lake Butte Overlook, and from Canyon to Norris at 8 am.
- December 22: East Entrance Road (from East to Lake Butte) at 8 am.
- March 1: East Entrance Road closes at 9:00 p.m.
- March 2: Mammoth to Norris Junction closes at 9:00 p.m.
- March 4: Norris Junction to Canyon and Norris Junction to Madison close at 9:00 p.m.
- March 9: Canyon to Fishing Bridge closes at 9:00 p.m.
- March 15: Remaining groomed roads close at 9:00 p.m
Grand Teton National Park ROADS:
The Teton Park Road is not plowed after the first of November. During the time that the Teton Park Road remains free of snow, visitors are welcome to use the roadway for non-motorized recreation such as walking, bicycling, and in-line skating. Once the snow begins to accumulate on the road, winter season activities such as cross-country skiing, skate skiing and snow-shoeing become possible. In addition to road closures in Grand Teton National Park, the Grassy Lake Road within the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway is closed.