The West Yellowstone area is at its best for hiking, scenery, fishing and wildlife watching during the fall. Fall temperatures create once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunities at Old Faithful and other geysers.
The season brings spectacular scenery and the annual elk mating season where huge bull elk battle for their harems with eerie, echoing bugles across wide valleys. Bears enter into a state of hyperphagia, eating as much as they can in anticipation of the coming winter.
There are several scenic drives around the Yellowstone area as well, where one has the opportunity to view wildlife, capture gorgeous photographs and see the area at its most colorful.
Whether you are looking to stay in a historic hotel, intimate bed & breakfast, cabin, or guest ranch West Yellowstone offers a wide variety of lodging options.
There are so many restaurants in the West Yellowstone area, you’re sure to find something to satisfy your every craving. Whether you are looking for good 'ol home cookin' from the Old West or regional specialties, like elk, bison, and trout, the possibilities are endless.
Yellowstone Historic Center “Night at the Museum” – September 6
West Yellowstone Foundation Happening Celebration – September 13
West Yellowstone-Old Faithful Cycle Tour - September 20th
Yellowstone Rendezvous Trail Run - September 27th
Yellowstone Park Fee Free Day - September 27th
Junior Smokejumpers Kid's program - through the end of September
Beer Fest in West – October 17-19
Click here for the full calendar of events.
ACTIVITIES & RECREATION:
- West Yellowstone Historic Walking Tour
- Art Exhibits at the West Yellowstone Public Library
- Earthquake Lake Visitor Center & Drive
- Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center
- Yellowstone Giant Screen Theater
- Hiking, Mountain Biking & Wildlife Viewing
- Rendezvous Ski Trails: Trailhead is at 520 Obsidian Avenue
- Boundary Trail
- Riverside Trail
- Gallatin National Forest Trails
- Madison and Gallatin rivers are open in addition to Yellowstone. Reynolds, 3 Dollar, Palisades, West Fork, and Henrys Fork for walk and wade fishing trips are accessible at this time. Hebgen Lake and Quake Lake are still accessible at this time.
- Horseback Riding
- Bird Watching
- Fall Photography
- Scenic Drives
Detailed and Printable List: Fall Activities West Yellowstone Montana